Wednesday 28 October 2015

Quilt Retreatables

OK, this might be a longish story, so feel free to just look at the photo and leave!! A couple of years ago, the Canadian Quilters Association/Association de la courtepointe canadienne had a Trend-Tex challenge with 5 fat quarters that you could make into a wall hanging or a 'wearable'. It was interesting to see how many different things could be made from the same 5 fat quarters! (My project was handed in late so it doesn't show up in the gallery.) I decided to make 'Quilt Retreatables'
The hat was a reversible sun hat pattern from April Cobb - I made the large size, but could use one a little bit larger. Really easy to make though. I made the sample one with Riley Blake fabric (this fabric has its own story! My friend, Jackie White had emailed me that Riley Blake had a challenge out to use some of their fabric to make a bag and send in photos. I was in Florida at the time and only found the fabric used in this photo at a place about 45 minutes from where I was staying. I bought the fabric, but never got the tote made - going to Spring training games to watch the Cardinals, visitors, shopping at Bealls, etc...) My plan for this kit was to make a set of items that I could take to every quilt retreat. I attend an annual one at Red Lodge Resort on beautiful Manitoulin Island (just in case you don't know: the island is in Lake Huron and is the largest island in a fresh water lake). I wanted the tote to hold my 12 1/2" ruler and small cutting mat, so I designed a square one about 13 1/2" wide and deep enough to hold other tools, threads, bobbins, etc. I had to start mine before I could make the kit for the Trend-Tex Challenge, but didn't finish it right away. I sewed enough to check out my pattern, then completed the Trend-Tex quilt retreatables in time to go to the St. Catharines CQA/ACC quilt conference. It raised $50 in the silent auction. Last winter I finished my own tote and added a camera bag and a tablet bag to my kit and have taken it away to a quilt retreat and my annual sewing vacation at Boyne, Michigan. I love it and may make some coordinating pieces to take with it - let's see, I could probably use a sewing machine cover, needle case, thread catcher, .... so many other necessities at a quilt retreat!! Maybe even some coasters for my wine glass in the evenings on the deck!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren - thanks so much for entering our Road Trip contest! I love the sunhat, and the color palette for the whole group.

    We'd love to send you a prize for entering - please email us at info at thestitchtvshow dot com with your address! - Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome - you can see why my 2016 goal is to be more regular on my blogging!

      Delete
  2. Very good idea to keep all quilter's necessities! Makes me think about making new bag for my 12 1/2 " square ruler too! Thanks, Laurain, for sharing the story! I am so glad to meet you in Pugeon Forge and see the whole set in person!

    ReplyDelete